Zach worked SO hard today after school to earn some money. I was very proud of him. He was out working with Tylor (a friend from Church) to help work on the wood in the back yard. My favorite sentence that came from that afternoon was from Zach to Tylor "Wow Tylor you're like as strong as Superman!" You gotta love it when kids still compare things to superheros.
The devotional today was about how we needed to not judge or evaluate ourselves. How the worst thing we can do is compare ourselves to others because that only produces feelings of either pride or inferiority. Both of which are wrong. We need to know just exactly who we are in Christ. We can't make more of who we are, nor can we make less of who we are.
I love it that Zach didn't have any judgement on himself with his statement to Tylor. He was not feeling sad and depressed that he wasn't as strong as Tylor. It was a simple observation with some awe involved. He may have thought that "one day" he'd like to be "that strong" (and maybe not) but those thoughts didn't make him feel less of himself.
I do not do as good a job as Zach did with his statement -innocent and nonjudgmental for either himself or Tylor. Comparing myself to my family, to my friends, to my mentors, to people I don't even know but see their lives in public places; sadly, all of that I do. Lord, I confess to not really having seen it as a sin. I see now, however, that that is something that Satan wants to dupe me with. When I do judge myself up against others, I either do not give You the credit in my life or I do not trust You with how much power You have in me and self-pity takes over.
God has tailored a unique path just for me. I cannot covet someone else's. I need to be finding joy in what God has given me -even if it has some hard work involved -like stacking wood.
No comments:
Post a Comment