Saturday, February 26, 2011

Take My Hand -Step by Step



My friend Stephanie, my sister, and my mom were all at a wonderful women's conference today.  On our way home, Stephanie and I stopped to visit Steph's sister Sam and her 10 month old son Avery.  We quick did a little photo session by the sliding door and got this sweet shot of Avery.  Stephanie was talking to him from my right as Sam held the backdrop and he co-operated so well, and was just adorable!  I did have to pick this shot as it went perfectly with today's devotional -it looks so like he wanted to just take Aunt Stephanie's hand.

"I am leading you, step by step, through your life.  Hold My hand in trusting dependence, letting Me guide you through this day.  Your future looks uncertain and feels flimsy -even precarious.  That is how it should be...... don't worry, as that is a form of rebellion; doubting My promises to care for you."

I may like to think that my life is less precarious than Baby Avery's, but it is not.  I need a Savior just as much as he does.  I need to take God's hand with a child like faith and dependence and trusting just as much as Avery does.  I have so many things I have been able to do well that I have built a castle -albeit of sand- in which I put so much trust and confidence that I have forgotten how false all of it is.  Truthfully I don't worry and doubt all that much  -not because I trust in God so completely - but because I trust in Kim Paton.  That is just as much of a form of rebellion as worry is.

The conference we just went to talked about holding our "empty cup of the soul" out to other people and other things to fill us up and make us feel complete and whole and happy and fulfilled.  When that "empty cup of our soul" can only be filled by God in the lasting and real way that we want it to be filled.  Take God's hand first and let Him lead us Step by Step by letting Him reign Supreme in our life.

I think I hold my "empty cup" out to either myself or Ted to fill first, and not to God first.  I don't take His hand, I think, because I have so much pride in myself and Ted that I don't think I'm "such a baby" that I would need His hand first.  Lord forgive my pride.  Forgive my confidence in sand castles and abilities I think I have achieved on my own.  Teach me and show me I really am just like Baby Avery and NEED to take Your Hand and let You take me step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment