Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sometimes You Win & Sometimes You Lose


After church Ted decided that he and the boys couldn't risk driving into GR because of the storm that was headed our way.  Sitting in the car in the driveway we all came up with the idea of going bowling as a family here in Ionia instead.  Drew and I were on the same team.  We didn't win the game but this time when we took our turn, it did go well for us.

Drew has been working on not getting angry when he loses a game.  It is such a hard thing for any kid, but for Drew he is actually so good at sports that he really doesn't like it at all.  I have been trying to incorporate the phrase "sometimes we win and sometimes we lose" as much as I can during our time at home just the two of us -where I can be in control of how the OTHER person reacts.  His brothers don't do so well.

In my devotional today I thought about God as my Center.  How things around me are not going to be reliable or consistent or always go my way, but with God as my Center I can stay stable.  It reminded me of the word Steadfastness in Colossians and the idea of not being moved away from our faith.  It is so easy to let emotions play the most important role in what we believe and how we act.

With God as my Center, I don't swing too far either way.  I don't fall into deep depression when I lose.  I don't need to win to have it be a "good day".  Sometimes things will go well, and sometimes they won't.  It is my reaction to those times that give glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment