Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Being "Still"


My nephew Micah came to our house yesterday to enjoy some time with his cousin Drew.  They are seriously two peas in a pod.  They LOVE to play with each other and have entertained themselves really well.  I love it.

The line today I thought about for the majority of the day was "Thank Me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still.  Some of the greatest works in my Kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells".

I really thought to myself that for once, this devotional wasn't about my life right now.  How I certainly wasn't "still" with 4 boys in the house.  It even shot through my mind that I hoped I wouldn't break a leg or something that would require me to be in bed!  (I thought about that as I almost tripped over one of the ever-present cars/trains left on the floor today)

It wasn't until I was looking through the day's photos and I re-read the devotional much later that I saw my connection.   "Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms."   That feeling of being cut off from the activity of others I really do feel as a stay at home mom of little kids.  I know God gave me this gift of staying home with my children.  I can stand on that truth that it is a "condition that requires me to be still" -"still" in the idea of not being able to do what others in the workforce are able to do and be.  I often do think the grass is really awfully green over there on the other side.  How I "can't wait" until I can get over there and taste it!

Being a stay at home mom was the very condition that enabled me to let Micah come and stay with us and give Drew the joy of growing up closely with his cousin.  It is what enables me to be a back-up sitter for so many of my friends.  It gave me the extreme joy of getting to know Katie-Kate so well and now Miss Josie Girl.  It gives me the joy of being here when the 'big boys' get off the bus and giving them my attention and a snack.  I don't always see the positives.

Lord help me to take each day of this "condition" of being a stay at home mom with thankfulness and use it to Your glory.

PS.  Happy Birthday Aunt Kris!

1 comment:

  1. :-) thanks for the B-day recognition! I also Love the fact that you are a stay-at-home mom, because you can "have the time" to call me and chat. Thanks for today!!

    ReplyDelete