Friday, January 21, 2011

A Happy Man


Ted came home from Rite Aid tonight a "happy man".  Those little chocolate Cadbury Easter Egg things make him almost giddy.  He was going on so much I had to take a picture.  :)

So today's devotional really had me thinking all day.  I really wrestled with the idea of what do I have as a dependency that is other than God.  Do I put my security in anything other than Him.  If my life is walking a tightrope, and He is my Guide/Boss/Coach at the end of that rope encouraging me and wanting me to keep my eyes fixed on Him, does my mind/heart get sold out to anything else and get me off kilter?

I considered caffeine.  Do I use it to keep me going when I should use Him?  I considered food.  Do I use it to counteract sadness, worry or boredom instead of prayer?  I considered exercise.  Do I use that to give me energy and to give me a boost for the day instead of Him?  Medicine?  Do I go to the bottle of Excedrin before I pray and ask My Healer to heal me?  Pictures.  Do I put too much emphasis on those pixels to keep me happy?  Sleep.  Do I love that more than I love my time with Him?  And what about my family?  Do I want their emotions and love more than God's or what about Ted?  Do I depend on Him for my security more than I depend on God for my security?

Wow.  The answer to each of those questions was a sad yes.  Certainly not every time but more than I should, for sure.  I looked hard at all that.  I wondered which of those would give me the worst "withdraw symptoms" should I choose to cut out the dishonorable aspects of them from my life.  Ted was for sure the #1 suspect.  I am 100% sure that if because of any number of weird things that could happen to create a situation where I'd have to cut completely out any of the other things, I wouldn't care NEAR as much as I would if Ted were to be cut out of my life.  Ted's leadership, love, security, daily actions, and humor is intertwined beyond description in my life.

In our Bible Study we are doing Marriage Without Regrets.  Marriage is supposed to be an earthly picture of the relationship of Christ to us the believers of The Church as well as an earthly picture of God's relationship to us.  Drawing my security from my husband is only supposed to be a picture of that relationship, but only a sad grainy pixelated one;  the real thing cannot compare.  Lord I really do not have a good idea of where the line is for my life and my relationship with Ted.  Honestly I have to put that in Your hands.  If/when You need me to change something there You'll have to kinda yell at me about that.  Figuring out that just makes my head spin.  That will have to be all You.

No comments:

Post a Comment