Saturday, January 15, 2011

Encouragement


Be an encouragement to my children was the devotional this morning.  Lord help me to be encouraging to each of my children in exactly the areas they need.  

Self esteem is a funny thing.  Zach is so good at balance things and snowboarding seems to come naturally to him.  However it was interesting today how he was needing so much encouragement with it, and only went down the hill 2 times on his new snowboard.  I know I have to walk a fine line of encouragement and honesty with him.... I can't just give a blanket set of nice words anymore like I used to.  It comes easily for me to help the younger ones to learn how good they are in developing areas.... reading say.  They are so trusting.  They take my compliments and encouragements without question.  As we get older, we don't trust others and what they say about us.  We are less and less apt to take compliments and encouragement.  We need more and more details and have everything be 'proven' to us.  The statement of "you are really good at snowboarding" has to get backed up with "proof" they can trust.  

Being able to give my kids specific encouragement -not just nice blanket statements- is something I need to work on.  Being able to accept encouragement from God and others -without the need of proof -is also something I need to work on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment