Monday, March 7, 2011

Teamwork or Dependence


"The challenges you will face today are too much for you to go it alone".  When I first read that sentence I had all positive thoughts.  I liked how it went with the idea of teamwork.  I liked how it made it sound like I had someone on my journey with me.  This photo seemed like it would be great.  I didn't take the pic knowing I'd use it, but later when I was choosing from all the photos I'd taken for the day it was the one I chose because it was "clearly Will NOT playing basketball alone".

And then the Spirit got ahold of me;  because seriously, it actually flashed through my mind that "hey, I'm a good asset to the teamwork".  See, I know God has made me the way I am.... confident and fearless..... but I have clearly gone and screwed those great qualities up with my selfishness.  I want to be recognized for my abilities (as if they are MY abilities).

The line in the devotional that stuck out to me later -not what I was meditating on during the day - was "Either walk with Me in humble steps of dependence or doggedly go it alone".  The Holy Spirit pointed out as I was writing this blog, that I never really ever do the "humble steps of dependence" thing.  Humble Steps of Dependence are NOT the same as "me doing my part well and keeping up with my teammate and participating equally such that the team does well".

Humble Steps of Dependence is cheering on the sidelines in a cast.  No glory.  None.  Choosing to send out the Best Player possible to do the job.  ALL my hope of anything good happening is in HIM, not me.... because I'm not even out on the court.  I would be completely depending on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment