Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spinning Plates



I thought of my calendar today as I read "Rather than planning and evaluating, practice trusting and thanking Me continually.  This is a paradigm shift that will revolutionize your life."

These devotionals lately have had a lot to do with trust, in the area of letting God direct our days and trust Him for our daily plan and let Him be our Guide.... letting Him be the one to fill our To Do list.  Just recently did God give me a little analogy to help me in how He wants me to think of my life and the many "things" I have going.

Think of one of those acrobat guys who can spin like 10 plates on poles.  He runs from plate to plate and tries so hard to keep them from falling by running, spinning and balancing.  I was very much like that guy with all the things in my life I had going -running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  Last summer I discarded the plates that God never did ask me to start spinning and that did help, but I still have a lot of plates.

Here is my own little revelation.
1. Let God do the spinning.  I'm in the audience.  He is way better at that anyway.  Plus then He gets the glory.
2. Be available every morning to get instructions for the morning, day, hour etc.  as to which plates He wants me to work from and for how long.
3. Don't try and guess which plates He will ask me to attend to.....I can try and tell Him good ideas for the plates, but it's best to just let Him be in charge of that.
4. When He does hand me a plate, don't procrastinate.  Start spinning it right away.
5. Don't try and grab plates and work on them myself.  VERY BAD IDEA.  Stay off stage until he calls me up!  (that includes worrying or planning with any plate -it's a wast of time)

So I thought about my calendar and all the stuff I do.  I thought about this new thing I feel like God is asking me to work on.  Add one more "little project" to my life?  I told God that He might be crazy and what if this doesn't work?  "That's not your problem" God replied (to quote a great Ginny Owens song).  However, I have to say, for the last couple of weeks it has been cool to see how getting my instructions day by day really does work.  One day this month He even cleared a whole day Himself because there was something important He wanted me to work on for 7 straight hours.  Even today He did it again with clearing my afternoon so I could help a friend move.

I can't say this has revolutionized my "life", but I can say it has revolutionized March of 2011.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment