A picture a day and a devotional a day - for a year. An adventure in........Learning to be consistant; Experiencing God; Experiencing my family; Watching relationships grow.
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Making Friends with my Problem
Ok so I have had a love/hate relationship with "yeast". Somehow I have never been able to really figure it out. I feel quite confident in many areas of the kitchen.... although I unabashedly tip my hat to my sister when it comes to sweets....however, I have simply thrown up my hands and have declared "uncle" to anything Yeast....... that is until Elizabeth go me onto a recipe from The Pioneer Woman earlier this year. My photo today is of all the fun things that really did rise!!! from what I made with my sister-in-law Cinda.
This morning's devotional gave me pause. It suggested that we "make friends" with our problems. The craziest line that caught my attention the most was to even "nick-name" our problems. Now that is certainly a different angle on problems than I am used to. It talked about how God uses every problem to teach us something and it is that teaching that transforms us -little by little into the masterpiece He intended. So we are to embrace the problem.
I thought about my sister and some advice she shared with me about interior design. How if you have some sort of structural thing (say a column) that cannot be moved but it really is in the way and you'd like it to disappear; don't try and ignore it. Embrace it and make it part of the decor. It is going to be there no matter what, so do your best to make it cool. Don't let it be a sore thumb, but let it be your flair -something unique that makes the space your own. It then becomes a spot where her (The Designer's) creativity really shines.
So I have a yeast problem. Today I embraced that problem. I did already have to completely throw away a whole batch (not today but earlier in my attempts this year... 8 cups of flour and 4 cups of milk!!!), but I am not giving up, and allowing God and myself to have fun with my problem. I have given away two containers of cinnamon rolls and have 2 left to let God decide to whom I should give them. I have yet to tackle actual loaves of bread, but I am not going to hide any longer. I'm going to make friends with yeast and let God's creativity really show up.
I did even get out that old bread recipe from my past that has eluded me for years. The fact that it is on the counter is a good step right? :)
If this works I might try to embrace a "real" problem -like my desire to control everything. Well I suppose a better sentence might be.... Lord, I'll put this Control Problem out on the counter and when You see a good day to work on that, I'll pay attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment