My niece Paton helped Drew be able to fly her little butterfly kite at the beach today. She was so cute ant patient with him, but much to his chagrin, she quickly decided that a shorter string was better for him because it didn't get so tangled up in the grass when if fell.
My devotional today was also about short strings. How our thoughts wander, flutter or drift away from being centered on God, but that we need to learn to keep them anchored or tied down like a kite on a string or a boat to an anchor. Giving our thoughts too much slack lets them wander way too far away and is much like a kite string when it is way too long and it gets all tangled. Keeping my thoughts on a short string makes it easy to keep them anchored to God.
This morning my thoughts woke up in a tangled string mess that was much too long! Trying to untangle my efforts to solve my problems only made my string longer. Finally I realized what I was doing, but I spent time I didn't have, wasted on things I didn't need to worry about.
Drew and I both like lots of string, but clearly we need to learn to see the benefits of a shorter string.

No comments:
Post a Comment