Saturday, July 9, 2011

What Were You Thinking? Didn't You HEAR Me?


"William, What Were You Thinking?"  I asked him as we arrived at Burger King and he realized he never put on his shoes like I asked him like 5 times to do before we left to deliver Ava and pick up Zach.  He is not pictured because he had to stay and eat in the car while the others ate and played in the restaurant.  

Today my devotional talked about tuning out that white noise of the world or my own thinking that gets in the way of being able to hear God's voice.  How we need to be transformed by renewing our mind so that we can HEAR Him.

Hopefully Will spending that time out in the car and not playing in the playland will help "transform and renew his mind" so that he will HEAR me next time.

Am I as responsive to my own consequences such that I will transform and renew my own mind so that I will HEAR God next time?

I am sure God has told me way more than five times this week that I need to trade my shame and guilt for His joy (including quite literally in yesterday's devotional that I simply disregarded and found other sentences to dwell on).   It seems I keep going back to familiar phrases that wrap me up nicely in familiarity...."it's all my fault", "man I am sooooo selfish" and "why do I even do all this stuff anyway?" For some reason I like to manipulate the truth sometimes to make things all my fault and feel quite sorry for myself.

Why would I even like those phrases?  "Really Kim, What Are You Thinking?!!!  Listen to Me"  God says.  "I love you.  It isn't your fault.  You know that's not true.  You know that I know the truth".

"Just Listen to Me".

No comments:

Post a Comment