Thursday, July 7, 2011

Weeding


Today was a hard day for me.

My devotional talked about rejecting negative or sinful thoughts as soon as I become aware of them and leave them right away with God.  Then to go on my way lightheartedly.

My mind thought of my kids bringing me trash.  Gum wrappers, something they decided they didn't like and spit into my hand, or even just trash they found.... I've had it all handed to me and then they just run off happily while I take care of the trash.

I weeded my flowers today and saw my thoughts like those weeds...needing to go out with the trash and handed over to God.  Some are obvious thoughts that clearly need to be weeded out, but some are way less obvious.  Thoughts of guilt and shame that the enemy wants me to dwell on are harder to recognize sometimes.

It wasn't so much the weeding that was hard.  I mostly had a hard time with the walking away lightheartedly part.... being like a kid that can simply turn and run on with my life and know that God really will take care of that trash and I don't have to keep revisiting it.

Weeding is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment